Monday 20 January 2014

A Two-For-One Treat: I'm Going Bold!

Hello there lovelies!

Okie dokie, let's not mess about, the time has finally come for me to roll up my sleeves and crack on with a tutorial.

As I've been a bit naughty, and done three different posts with zero eyeshadow looks, I've decided to do a bit of a bargain for you, with a TWO FOR ONE tutorial, mostly using the Urban Decay Vice Palette (original).



The theme of today's two-for-one will be 'Ways To Go Bold'.

The basis of each look is the same, but when we get to that last 10%, I'm going to give you a couple of cheeky options to decide between to change it up!

So here are our options (try to ignore my crazy hair):

Route 1: Smokey eye with a bold red lip

Route 2: Neutral lip with a bold smokey eye (yellow)

Right-  I started with my Urban Decay Primer Potion (anti-aging), and covered my eyelids, browbones and undereyes.

e.l.f. angled contour brush and 'Laced'.
Using my e.l.f. angled contour brush, I took 'Laced' from the Vice (original) and swept it across the crease, as a transition for the smokey magic that is to come!

After this, I applied a light layer of 'Desperation' - a smokey brownish-grey to the crease and outer V, and blended out to a soft finish using my e.l.f. eyeshadow 'C' brush. I LOVE this brush for blending and buffing out harsh edges- it is a DREAM to work with!
Applying 'Desperation' with the eyeshadow 'C' brush


Using a dense eyeshadow crease brush (bought YEARS ago at H&M, not entirely sure if they still stock it, but I love it!) I dabbed a tiny dot of 'Black Market' into the crease and outer V to create a more slightly more defined cat-eye shape, then further blended out any harsh lines.

I took my e.l.f. small stipple brush, and used it to apply my e.l.f. HD blush in 'Headliner' for a soft, understated flush of colour on the cheeks.

This is the point at which we decide whether we're rocking a bold lip or eye. Thus far, the eye is fairly neutral, with no shadow on the inner two thirds of the lid.

Route 1: Apply 'Echo Beach' to the inner corner, and blend out to 'Nevermind' in the centre of the lid. Crack out the boldest, brightest lip colour that you have in your arsenal - I went for my Urban Decay (I know, surprise surprise) Super Saturated High Gloss Lip crayon in 'F-Bomb', a classic red. If you fancied doing this in matte, you could opt for the UD 24/7 lip pencil in '69'.  Finish off your eyes with lashings of your mascara of choice, a dash of eyeliner (as IF you even need to guess which brand of eyeliner I used) and you are DONE!

Here are the final results of Route 1...







Route 2: First we need a bright eye colour to fill in that inner/middle section of the lid. I'm sure you know that the Vice Palette has a whole myriad of options, from a glittery hot pink ('Noise') to the most outrageous electric blue you've ever seen ('Chaos'). But I'm trying to move out of my comfort zone here, and I recently picked up the pressed-powder-insanity that is Sugarpill's Buttercupcake, a vivid matte, mustard-esque yellow.

I smudged on a little of my NYX jumbo eye pencil in 'Milk' for a solid, white base, and using a precision eye brush, I patted Buttercupcake onto the inner two-thirds of the eye, and blended into the edges of the darker crease/outer V colours. As ever, the mascara and liquid/pencil liner combo finish this look off beautifully. If you curl your eyelashes, I imagine this is when you would do so- my own lashes are fairly long with a decent amount of curl naturally, so I've never curled mine, and as such, am not much of an expert.

My go-to neutral lip choice of late is my Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balmstain in 'Honey'. This is a beautiful dusky pink with the perfect amount of understated shine.

So! After all that hard work- this is where Route 2 brings us...

How perfect is that Revlon Balmstain for a neutral lip?


I love the contrast of the yellow shadow and UD's jet-black 'Perversion' liquid liner.

The looks obviously aren't HUGELY different, due to them being based on the same fundamental products, but  I love them for different reasons; I think a statement lip always looks glamorous; but who doesn't love a fierce eye look?

Which is your favourite? I'd love to know your thoughts!

If you have any 2-4-1 ideas you'd like to see, let me know! Two ways to rock glitter? Two easy Valentine's looks? Let me know, either in the comments below, or on Twitter using the hashtag #241- you can find me at @CharleyShadow !

I hope you enjoyed this post!

Seeya again soon lovelies!

Charley
xxx


2 comments:

  1. hey I'm new to blogging and think you blog is so lovely!
    I found your blog through the bb bloggers blog! I'm going to follow you as soon as I can find how to on your blog! go check mine out if you dont mind! www.amyslifeofbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy! You can follow me via Bloglovin' at http://www.bloglovin.com/charleyshadow :) I will check out your channel! Thank you very much! xx

    ReplyDelete