Tuesday 28 January 2014

Beauty and such...

Hm. This is a bit out of my usual blogging comfort-zone, so bear with me.

I love eyeshadow. I love to draw attention to what I believe is good about my appearance. I've said it before, but I believe in accentuating and highlighting, NOT disguising and hiding. If you're focusing on the negative, I believe that you're already setting off on the wrong foot. Absolutely nobody looks perfect, and nobody should! It is human nature to have features we aren't crazy about, it's universal. Knowing this, knowing that nobody absolutely adores everything about their appearance, why are we so concerned about our minor flaws?

I guess what I want to write about today is perspective. Last year, what got me thinking about it was when Jennifer Lawrence was quoted as saying that she wanted to be "fit and healthy". It might seem odd, but I can't remember many instances of this before. I've heard of a hundred actresses talking about how they were losing weight, or gaining weight. I've read about singers talking about their curves and how they're not ashamed of them. That's not a bad thing, as such, but it's still fairly superficial.

Given that Christmas has just come and gone, diets seem to be rife among my friends at the moment. There was a smoothie diet, the 5-2 diet, carb-free diets and various branded plans. I despair - not because they're pointless, but because I don't believe in making drastic changes to your eating habits. It is impossible to maintain long term, which means that when you eventually go back to 'eating normally', some weight will immediately go back on. The fact is, if you just want to be slimmer for an event, then fine, go for a faddy diet plan, lost your weight, then stick it back on later. Personally, I could probably stand to lose a few pounds, but I'm not overweight, and more importantly, I'm not unhealthy. Rather than counting calories and excluding food groups, I value switching to slightly smaller portions, and a shifting the ratio of my healthy:unhealthy snacks/meals. Equally, as damaging as it can be to totally exclude a food group, I think it's just as bad to CONSTANTLY talk about the food you "can't" eat. The bigger the deal you make of it, the more it plays on your mind.

I realise that for the most part, this post was nothing to do with makeup. But I really hope that some of you enjoyed it, or at least found it useful. Maybe you disagreed with everything I said- is that you? Let me know what you think, in the comments, or tweet me at @CharleyShadow ! I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks for stopping by, lovelies!

Seeya again soon!

Charley x

No comments:

Post a Comment